Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Arriving in Akron

Well, how to begin. I'll just admit now that I'm writing this from Haiti, now that I feel like I've got a little time. So I'll try and reconstruct what's happened in the last few weeks.

First off, I arrived in Akron, PA for my MCC orientation fresh off a month in Europe (mostly Eastern. You can check out the photos here). In case you're unfamiliar with Mennonites, they're notoriously frugal, so I was surprised to arrive at headquarters, in this tiny town outside of Lancaster, PA (aka Amish Paradise) and find my living quarters looking like what you see here.





Not bad, eh? I spent the next two weeks in this comfy setting, talking to other volunteers who were heading all over the world. It was a diverse bunch, to be sure. Three families with kids, two going to Mexico and one to Rwanda. Several couples, and a bunch of free radicals. We played a lot of Boggle, Scrabble and Rummikub. I got a decent amount of reading done, and even fit in a few lessons on tape of Haitian Creole.