Wednesday, April 11, 2007

t-shirt

Once again, my time has evaporated. I hope I'll be able to put a couple videos and photos up tomorrow from the police training as well as Easter weekend. For now, I want to start doing something new here, which is to tell you about the hilarious t-shirts I see around Port-au-Prince. Here's three of my favorites so far, which were all written in English:
  • Fat People are Harder to Kidnap
  • I Survived Haiti!
  • Hebrew School Dropout
As is the case all over Latin America, second-hand clothing from the states is really popular here. One of my favorite t-shirts ever was one I bought in Nicaragua. It has a picture of a plate of rice and beans, the preferred breakfast, lunch and dinner of Nicaraguans. The other day I saw a Haitian boy wearing the same shirt! Within the last year, that t-shirt probably traveled about as many miles as I did, minus the trip to Europe - and who knows, maybe even including that. Bizarre.

Anyways, I hope to get more interesting stuff up soon. I'm determined not to get lazy here. It's true that I'm settling in more and more and Haiti is becoming home. But there's no lack of things to write about or photograph.